Type of contract Fixed-term contract which may be converted into a permanent contract after three years subject to individual performance and organisational needs
Who can apply? EU nationals
Salary F/G (2) (minimum full time monthly net salary €5,451 and benefits, see further information section)
Role specialisation IT Application Development, IT Architecture, IT Infrastructure and Operations
Working time Full time
Place of work Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Closing date 21.01.2022
You will be part of the Prudential Domain Services Division in the Directorate General Information Systems. We are a team of some 50 IT professionals delivering tailored IT solutions for European banking supervision to support financial stability and collect supervisory statistics.
We are currently internalising the end-to-end delivery of two of our bespoke IT systems supporting ECB Banking Supervision: the Stress Tests Accounts Reporting (STAR): https://www.
As part of a new agile product team, you will take over the development, maintenance and operations of either STAR or the CQR system from an external service provider. You will further develop unique, user-friendly IT systems that support banking supervision in the EU and devise innovative solutions that are central to the ECB’s strategy.
Our technology stack currently consists of Java, Python, Oracle, React and Angular, and we are quickly moving our services to the cloud. We are committed to giving our users the best possible user experience and keeping our IT systems secure and protected by building and running our services following Agile and DevOps practices.
The ECB is an inclusive employer and we strive to reflect the diversity of the population we serve. We encourage you to apply irrespective of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other characteristics
This vacancy notice covers four separate roles:1. Front-End Developer Expert2. Back-End Developer Expert (Java/C#)3. Python Developer Expert4. DevOps Expert
In all roles, you will be the technical lead for your team and will:
- program new business and technical functionalities in line with user needs;
- develop automated tests, builds, deployments and continuous integration pipelines;
- coach and mentor junior engineers on the existing codebase and development practices;
- identify strategic technical debt and provide cost/benefit analysis to eliminate and prioritise in line with the product roadmap;
- improve the existing development practices and technical skills of individuals in the team through code reviews;
- liaise with stakeholders in other divisions to ensure technical compliance with ECB-wide standards.
We are seeking candidates for these roles who demonstrate the potential for growth, and we support the selected candidates in their future development of the required knowledge, skills or competencies.
Qualifications, experience and skills
For all Developer roles:
- a master’s degree or equivalent in computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics or another relevant field (click here for details on degree equivalences);
- in addition to the above, a minimum of seven years of hands-on experience as a professional developer or devOps working on complex bespoke applications;
- a sound knowledge of common data structures;
- a sound knowledge of common data structures (arrays, linked lists, maps, trees, …), you can pick the right one for the problem you are solving;
- an understanding of complexity (big O notation) and the most common algorithmic approaches (sorting, divide-and-conquer, dynamic programming, greedy, recursion);
- practical knowledge of the most common design patterns (gang of four);
- a working knowledge of relational database systems and ability to write complex queries;
- a passion for software development;
- curiosity and a willingness to learn, while using software to resolve difficult business problems;
- strong customer orientation and the ability to manage stress;
- excellent analytical, drafting and presentation skills, and the ability to present complex functional and/or technical topics clearly to internal and external audiences;
- an advanced (C1) command of English and an intermediate (B1) command of at least one other official language of the EU, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
In addition, for the role of Python Developer Expert:
- considerable experience developing complex bespoke applications in Python;
- an ability to manage and analyse large datasets.
For all roles:
- experience in agile software development;
- contributions to open-source projects.
For the role of Python Developer Expert:
- working experience with IT projects in a financial risk management environment;
- an understanding of the main risks facing financial institutions (e.g. credit risk, market risk, operational risk, interest rate risk) and how these affect a bank’s capital position;
- knowledge of the EBA stress test methodology;
- practical experience with financial risk management practices and modelling.
You engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and learn willingly from other people’s diverse perspectives. You signal any need for change by explaining it and proposing alternative solutions. You analyse complex information effectively and can evaluate different views to arrive at solutions. You know and anticipate stakeholder needs. You are skilled at encouraging people to develop their abilities and are able to build up high-performing teams.
You are motivated to be part of our team and to develop and use your skills and competencies to achieve the objectives of this position.You are aware of your strengths and areas for development and know what motivates you to perform at your highest level.
To enable the Division to maintain its business continuity capability, you will occasionally be expected to perform work during non-standard working hours and work at the ECB’s standby sites.
We would be happy to discuss part-time arrangements for these roles.
The formal title for these positions will be Senior IT Application Development Expert.
For additional information on this specific vacancy, you can speak to Marco Tizzoni, on +49 (0)69 1344 3357 (email: email@example.com) or Cristina Musceleanu, on +49 (0)69 1344 21065 (email: cristina.musceleanu@ecb.
Application and selection process
The recruitment process for this position will be conducted remotely. It will include a pre-recorded video interview in the pre-selection phase and – if you are invited to participate in the subsequent selection phase – a written exercise, a presentation and interviews.
If you are not selected for this position but are still considered suitable, you will be placed on a reserve list (see step 4 of how we hire), from which you might be considered for similar positions within the ECB.